The SmartMDSD Toolchain
The SmartMDSD Toolchain is an Integrated Software Development Environment (IDE) for system composition in an robotics software business ecosystem. It supports the different roles that act around the development of robotics systems to offer building blocks and/or use building blocks to build systems.
Robotics solution providers can use the SmartMDSD Toolchain to develop software components. Robotics System Builders can use the SmartMDSD Toolchain to compose their sytems from previously developed software components. For both of them, the SmartMDSD Toolchain provides guidance through tooling and enables users to gain benefit from 20 years of best-practices of robotics component and system development. The SmartMDSD Toolchain is based on the Eclipse IDE and model-driven software development techniques (using Xtext, Xtend and Sirius).
Installation and Download
- Tutorials (text and video)
Bugs, Support, and Community
The SmartMDSD toolchain is hosted on Eclipse since release 3.14 while all the other parts of the SmartSoft World of Servicerobotics Ulm remain hosted in the GitHub repository:
- See the Direct Installation of the SmartSoft World onto your Computer for more details.
The SmartMDSD toolchain was hosted on GitHub until releasse 3.13:
- Release Notes: for updating from one version to another
- Christian Schlegel, Alex Lotz, Matthias Lutz, Dennis Stampfer. “Composition, Separation of Roles and Model-Driven Approaches as Enabler of a Robotics Software Ecosystem”. In: Cavalcanti A., Dongol B., Hierons R., Timmis J., Woodcock J. (eds) Software Engineering for Robotics. Springer, Cham., 2021. DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-66494-7_3, Download (Open Access)
- Dennis Stampfer. “Contributions to System Composition using a System Design Process driven by Service Definitions for Service Robotics”. Dissertation, Technische Universität München, München, Germany, 2018. Link
- Alex Lotz, “Managing Non-Functional Communication Aspects in the Entire Life-Cycle of a Component-Based Robotic Software System”, Dissertation, Technische Universität München, München, Germany, 2018. Link
- Dennis Stampfer, Alex Lotz, Matthias Lutz, and Christian Schlegel. “The SmartMDSD Toolchain: An Integrated MDSD Workflow and Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Robotics Software.” In: Journal of Software Engineering for Robotics (JOSER): Special Issue on Domain-Specific Languages and Models in Robotics (DSLRob) 7.1 (2016). ISSN 2035-3928, pp. 3–19. Link
- Alex Lotz, Arne Hamann, Ralph Lange, Christian Heinzemann, Jan Staschulat, Vincent Kesel, Dennis Stampfer, Matthias Lutz, and Christian Schlegel. “Combining Robotics Component-Based Model-Driven Development with a Model-Based Performance Analysis.” In: IEEE International Conference on Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots (SIMPAR). San Francisco, CA, USA, Dec. 2016, pp. 170–176. LINK
- Matthias Lutz, Dennis Stampfer, Alex Lotz, and Christian Schlegel. “Service Robot Control Architectures for Flexible and Robust Real-World Task Execution: Best Practices and Patterns.” In: Workshop Roboter-Kontrollarchitekturen, co-located with Informatik 2014. Vol. P-232. GI-Edition: Lecture Notes in Informatics (LNI). ISBN: 978-3-88579-626-8. Stuttgart: Bonner Köllen Verlag, 2014. LINK
See also: Further Publications